Support us by donating 2 % of your taxes so that we can keep bringing you fresh tips from Bratislava
If you worked in Slovakia in 2018, you have the possibility to help any non-profit organization of your choice by donating them 2 % of your annual income tax. This is not any extra tax but already paid tax, an inherent part of your compulsory payments to the state. Simply said, you can give financial support without losing any money. All it takes is to claim that you don’t want the state to receive all your tax, instead you wish to support an initiative you believe is essential and carries out welfare activities.
You can find the list of all organizations that are eligible to receive funds from your % here (you need to click on the letters as the organizations are listed in an alphabetical order).
As our website WelcomeToBratislava.eu was founded as a non-profit initiative which we run as enthusiasts in our free time, we are also eligible to receive funds this way. Shall you decide you want to support us in further writing, you can do so through our civil association called Rozvojový inštitút.
Not only people but also legal entities in Slovakia may allocate up to 2 % of their paid annual income tax in favor of non-profit organizations. If you own a company, this applies to you and there’s specific instructions for you below as well.
If you were active last year and volunteered for at least 40 hours in a specific non-profit organization, you can donate not 2 % but even 3 % to it! In that case you will need to ask this organization for a paper where it confirms that you worked there as a volunteer.
HOW TO DONATE
First of all, we’d like to note that as per the Slovak Tax Law (Act No. 595/2003 Coll.), each Slovak tax resident has to settle their tax for the previous year. Depending whether you are employed, self-employed („fyzická osoba“) or own a company („právnická osoba“), there are different steps for you to do so, and the steps for donating 2 % vary a little in each case. If you are employed, you will surely be notified about the process by your employer and your HR department should help you. In other cases you will have an accountant which should do the job for you :) That’s why we are bringing you just a brief overview of the steps. Another thing is that all the official documents are only available in Slovak as the offices only accept these versions. However, to make it easier for you, we translated some and enclosed explanations in English.
1. If you are an employee – DEADLINE TO DONATE IS 30.4.
- Each employer notifies its employees about filling out the Annual Tax Reconciliation paper (“ročné zúčtovanie preddavkov na daň z príjmov”) – you need to return it till 15th February 2019. You must do this anyway and your employer probably already asked you to submit this form in January. If not, you can Request for Annual tax reconciliation EN – how to fill_Jan2019.
- In this document, ask your employer for the paper confirming the tax payment (“potvrdenie o zaplatení dane”) – you need to tick a box in the Annual Tax Reconciliation paper to do so. If you forgot to tick the box, you can still try to approach your HR – in some companies they are more flexible than in the others and might be able to issue this paper.
- From this paper you will be able to calculate the % that you can donate. The employer must send you this document upon your request.
- Fill out the document statement for 2% donation (“vyhlásenie o poukázaní podielu zaplatenej dane z príjmov fyzickej osoby”). Download this official form. If you need help, check out our English guide with detailed legend. In the section II (“Údaje o prijímateľovi”) fill out our information:
15 – IČO: 42447488
16 – Právna forma: občianske združenie
17 – Obchodné meno (názov): Rozvojový inštitút
18 – Sídlo-Ulica: Belinského
19 – Súpisné/orientačné číslo: 4
20 – PSČ: 85101
21 – Obec: Bratislava
- Send/bring the paper confirming the tax payment (“potvrdenie o zaplatení dane”) and the statement for 2% donation (“vyhlásenie o poukázaní podielu zaplatenej dane z príjmov fyzickej osoby”) to the Tax Office in the area of your residence till 30th April 2019 the latest. You can find your Tax Office on this link. Click the “Daňový úrad” button only and write your town to the search window. Then the different neighborhoods of the town will appear. Pick yours to see the respective addresses. It will take up to 90 days for the Tax Office to transfer the money to the organization.
Important: if you are an employee but last year you had income from private business, rent or capital income, or you received any income from abroad, you can’t ask your employer to issue the Annual Tax Reconciliation paper. In that case you need to do your Tax Return on your own. Ask your employer for the confirmation of the income for the purposes of the Tax Return (“potvrdenie o zdaniteľných príjmoch fyzickej osoby zo závislej činnosti za 2018”) and follow the steps which apply to self-employed individuals (below).
2. If you are self-employed (“fyzická osoba”)
- Calculate how much tax you paid in 2018 and how much is 2/3 % of it.
- Fill your Tax Return paper (type A or type B – your accountant will advise you) and name the organization you want to support.
- If you decide to support us, fill out the section XIII with credentials of our non-profit organization and the amount you wish to donate:
Obchodné meno (Názov)/Name of the organization: Rozvojový inštitút
Právna forma/Legal entity: Občianske združenie
IČO/Identification number: 42447488
Sídlo/Address: Belinského 4, Bratislava 851 01
Číslo účtu/Bank account number (IBAN): SK8783300000002900820484 (Fio banka)
- Send/bring your Tax Return form to your Tax Office till 31st March 2019 the latest and pay the tax. If you are donating 3 %, you will also need to have the document confirming you volunteered the hours at the chosen organization. You can find your Tax Office on this link. Click the “Daňový úrad” button only and write your town to the search window. Then the different neighborhoods of the town will appear. Pick yours to see the respective addresses. It will take up to 90 days for the Tax Office to transfer the money to the organization.
3. If you are a legal entity (“právnická osoba”)
- If you are a legal entity, you can divide the amount of up to 2 % tax to multiple recipients, the minimum amount per recipient is 8 €. Calculate how much tax you paid in 2018 and how much is 2 % of it.
- Fill your Tax Return paper (“daňové priznanie pre právnické osoby”) – information about % assignation is included in the section IV.
- Send/bring your Tax Return form to your Tax Office till 31st March 2019 the latest and pay the tax. You can find your Tax Office on this link. Click the “Daňový úrad” button only and write your town to the search window. Then the different neighborhoods of the town will appear. Pick yours to see the respective addresses. It will take up to 90 days for the Tax Office to transfer the money to the organization.
We thank to all those who decide to support us this way.
Maria, Zuzana & team
Author: Maria Kecsoova