Bratislava is a great destination for travelers who want to explore a lesser-known European city. However, if you’re planning to visit Bratislava, it’s important to learn a few phrases in Slovak to make your trip more enjoyable. Here are ten phrases to get you started:
- Dobrý deň – This is a basic greeting in Slovak, which means “good day”. You can use this phrase to greet someone at any time of the day.
- Ďakujem – This is the Slovak word for “thank you”. It’s always important to show your gratitude, so make sure to use this phrase often.
- Prosím – This word has multiple meanings in Slovak, including “please”, “excuse me”, and “you’re welcome”. It’s a versatile phrase that you’ll find yourself using frequently.
- Ako sa máš? – This is the Slovak way to ask “how are you?”. It’s a friendly greeting that you can use to start a conversation with someone.
- Mám rezerváciu – This phrase means “I have a reservation”. If you’re staying in a hotel or eating at a restaurant, this is a handy phrase to know.
- Kolko to stojí? – This is a useful phrase that means “how much does it cost?”. You’ll find yourself using this phrase when you’re shopping or eating out.
- Čo odporúčate? – This is a question that means “what do you recommend?”. It’s a great phrase to use when you’re unsure what to order in a restaurant.
- Je tu Wi-Fi? – This phrase means “is there Wi-Fi here?”. In this day and age, it’s important to stay connected, so make sure to ask this question whenever you’re in a new place.
- Kde je toaleta? – This is a question that means “where is the toilet?”. It’s always important to know where the nearest bathroom is, especially when you’re out exploring a new city.
- Dovidenia – This is the Slovak word for “goodbye”. It’s a polite way to end a conversation with someone.
While almost everyone you will interact as a tourist will speak English, learning a few phrases in Slovak will go a long way in making your trip to Bratislava more enjoyable. Even if you only know a few basic phrases, the locals will appreciate your effort to speak their language. So, make sure to practice these phrases before your trip and have fun exploring this beautiful city!